Upcoming Events

National | Irish Social Forum

no events match your query!

Blog Feeds

Cedar Lounge
For lefties too stubborn to quit

offsite link Blogs and the blogosphere 12:37 Sat Oct 19, 2019 | WorldbyStorm

offsite link Once long ago? 11:54 Sat Oct 19, 2019 | WorldbyStorm

offsite link ?Not of Christian origin? 10:59 Sat Oct 19, 2019 | WorldbyStorm

offsite link This Weekend I?ll Mostly Be Listening to? Stars 07:44 Sat Oct 19, 2019 | irishelectionliterature

offsite link A process not an event. 12:37 Fri Oct 18, 2019 | WorldbyStorm

Cedar Lounge >>

Dublin Opinion
Life should be full of strangeness, like a rich painting

offsite link Some Thoughts on the Brexit Joint Report 11:50 Sat Dec 09, 2017

offsite link IRISH COMMONWEALTH: TRADE UNIONS AND CIVIL SOCIETY IN THE 21ST CENTURY 14:06 Sat Nov 18, 2017

offsite link Notes for a Book on Money and the Irish State - The Marshall Aid Program 15:10 Sat Apr 02, 2016

offsite link The Financial Crisis:What Have We Learnt? 19:58 Sat Aug 29, 2015

offsite link Money in 35,000 Words or Less 21:34 Sat Aug 22, 2015

Dublin Opinion >>

NAMA Wine Lake

offsite link Test ? 12 November 2018 Mon Nov 12, 2018 14:28 | namawinelake

offsite link Farewell from NWL Sun May 19, 2013 14:00 | namawinelake

offsite link Happy 70th Birthday, Michael Sun May 19, 2013 14:00 | namawinelake

offsite link Of the Week? Sat May 18, 2013 00:02 | namawinelake

offsite link Noonan denies IBRC legal fees loan approval to Paddy McKillen was in breach of E... Fri May 17, 2013 14:23 | namawinelake

NAMA Wine Lake >>

Irish Social Forum Co-operation and Solidarity Summit Group Meeting Minutes

category national | irish social forum | news report author Friday October 17, 2003 17:44author by Mary Kinane - Comhlamh Trade Group and ISF Outreachauthor email mkisok at hotmail dot com Report this post to the editors

Minutes 16/10/03

Minutes of a meeting held on Thursday 16th October 2003 @ 7.30pm in the Comhlámh office, 10 Camden St. Dublin 2.

Minutes of a meeting held on Thursday 16th October 2003 @ 7.30pm in the Comhlámh office, 10 Camden St. Dublin 2.

Present:Mark O’Connor, Jean Somers, Joe Kelly, Niav Keating, Clare Lee, Christian Volkmann, Paul Dillon, Mark Grehan, Cian O’Callaghan, Finbar Dywer, Paul Butler, Liz Curry, Mary Kinane, Barry Finnegan, Deirdre de Burca
Apologies:Brendan Young, John Meehan
Chairperson:Joe Kelly
Minute-taker: Mary Kinane

1. Minutes of the last meeting
Minutes of the last meeting (11/10/03) were read. It was agreed to then go through all the practicality issues of the weekend.

2. Friday night
• Mark, John, Clare, Niav and Brendan will look after registration. Mark will take care of all money collected. Any cheques received to be paid into the TSB “Campaign for Tolerance and Choice” account, which is being used as a temporary account for the ISF.
• Opening will commence at 7.15 with Mary, followed by speaker on WSF (if available), speaker on ESF (Rory Hearne) and on ISF (Barry Finnegan) and Paul Dillon of the Students Union.
• Cian agreed to document the key points of the Peace and War plenary.
• Paul Butler will ensure guidelines for all chairs of plenaries and workshops will be made available.
• It was agreed that the group would meet from 3pm onwards on Friday to prepare. Brendan Young will bring the ISF boards and Barry will remind Pat Clafferty to bring the banner.
• Tea and coffee facilities will be available in the bar. There is a shop but no hot food will be available.

3. Saturday
• It was agreed to meet at 10am and each person will take a 2 ½ hour time slot to look after registration, logistics, etc. for the day. Paul Dillon and Mark Grehan will prepare identification stickers for all helpers.
• Mary will prepare titles of each workshop for the doors. Barry will prepare a wall chart.
• There is no roving microphone available.
• Re. the Planet before Profit plenary, George Marshall has had to cancel. Paul Butler confirmed he would chair the Equality plenary.
• Workshop No. 24 is being changed to 11am and will take place in the Arts Block. Information to be made available at registration.
• The group discussed the issue of groups looking for voluntary donations and it was agreed that no fundraising should take place in workshops. Fundraising can take place on a group’s stall/table only. Barry will take on to inform people of this. It was also agreed that all selling and leafleting would take place from a stationary position at stalls only and that the astral hall is not to be leafleted before or after plenaries. Barry will add these details to the guidelines being e-mailed out and it will be up to those helpers whose shift it is to ensure that these are adhered to.
• Clare has prepared a large information banner for the wall so that if there are extra issues, topics, etc. arising, people can use this banner as their information point.

4. Crèche facilities
There will be one room available as a crèche with two childcare workers (€20 p/hr x 2 x 8hrs = €160). This room is covered by public liability insurance.

5. ISF Programme
Clare and Niav have prepared the programme. There was some discussion around the pricing of photocopying (70c for the colour cover sheet) and that 250 programmes would cost within the region of €90. As there is a good possibility of accessing free photocopying, it was agreed to leave this task to Clare and Niav and to go for 400 copies.

6. Accommodation
Liz will have a notice at the registration desk for those seeking accommodation over the weekend and those who have accommodation to offer.

7. Fundraiser
There will be a fundraiser Saturday night in the UCD bar with DJs and a rap duo from 7pm onwards. Cover charge is €4. Mark Grehan is organising this.

8. Sunday morning
• PA and room hire for Mother Redcaps for both Sunday morning and last Tuesday’s table quiz will cost €150.
• The group will meet at 10am.
• Mark O’Connor will bring flipchart paper and the sound system for Sunday.
• Jean will facilitate the Sunday session.
• On the issue of flexibility of the programme and making proposals to discuss arising issues, it was noted that the timetable is quite restrictive. There is room for groups to have their own discussion around extra issues on the Saturday but we only have two hours on Sunday. Jean suggested rules of engagement for Sunday’s session and Barry agreed to do this. It is clarified in the programme that groups or individuals may make proposals for Sunday. In keeping with the Charter of Principles of the World Social Forum, the ISF will not be called upon to vote on decisions. It can however facilitate the setting up of groups to organise around issues. (With regard to the international day of protest on Feb 15th, it was clarified that the ESF did not call this day - it was called by the movement of social movements and groups who met during the ESF summit). The ISF is a forum where suggestions can be made around further meetings, planning days, events, etc.
• Paul Butler will prepare an evaluation sheet for feedback from ISF participants.
• The meeting concluded with a round up of how everyone felt approaching the ISF summit weekend. Overall, the feeling was quite positive.

Related Link: http://www.IrishSocialForum.org
author by Pulling the other onepublication date Fri Oct 17, 2003 21:36author address author phone Report this post to the editors

I notice that according to the website Brid Smith of the SWP was going to speak at a plenary session on behalf of the anti-bin tax campaign.

I would ask if the four campaigns had actually democratically decided to send her as a representative or if the SWP made the decision in the way they tried at the DCTU protest, but it seems a little pointless given that she is in jail.

The interesting bit will be seeing who will replace her at that session. Anyone want a little wager on the replacement speaker being some SWP hack with no particular prominence in the anti-bin tax movement?

I mean we can take it for granted that the SWP will have made sure that the replacement will be a member of theirs, but it isn't as if their organisation is filled to the brim with people who anyone in the bin tax movement has even heard of.

I'm willing to give odds...

Who will it be? Which SWP second stringer will they wheel out to "represent the movement"? Or could it be kicked upstairs to Rich Boy Barrett?

author by Leg pulledpublication date Mon Oct 20, 2003 21:59author address author phone Report this post to the editors

Sure enough, the bin tax speaker was some second string SWP hack (I forget her name).

A question for the SWP:

What campaign delegated your member who nobody has heard of to speak on its behalf?

Dublin City?
Fingal?
Dun Laoghaire Rathdown?
South Dublin?

author by Isaac Newtonpublication date Tue Oct 21, 2003 16:39author address author phone Report this post to the editors

"€20 p/hr x 2 x 8hrs = €160"

No, it equals €320. Make sure you gots enough dosh fer yer creche workers, eh?

 
© 2001-2019 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy